Red velvet cake: A moist, chocolate-flavoured delight with a luscious cream cheese frosting known for its vibrant red hue. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply craving a decadent treat, our red velvet cake is sure to captivate your taste buds and leave you craving for more. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and embark on a baking adventure that will result in a stunning and delicious masterpiece. Get ready to experience the magic of red velvet cake, where every slice is a symphony of flavors and a celebration of pure indulgence.
Red Velvet Cake RecipeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Red Velvet Cake is a classic and indulgent dessert known for its rich, velvety texture and striking red color. With a hint of cocoa and tanginess from the cream cheese frosting, it offers a perfect balance of flavors. This beloved cake is sure to impress with its irresistible taste and beautiful presentation.
- For Cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together the vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla extract, and white vinegar until well blended.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Make sure the batter is smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, while continuing to beat the mixture. Finally, add the vanilla extract and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread a generous amount of cream cheese frosting on top. Place the second cake layer on top and frost the entire cake with the remaining cream cheese frosting. You can also decorate the cake with additional toppings or decorations, if desired.
- Slice and serve the delicious homemade Red Velvet Cake!
- This recipe yields a classic Red Velvet Cake with a moist and tender texture.
- The key ingredient in Red Velvet Cake is the red food coloring, which gives it its distinctive vibrant red color.
- The combination of cocoa powder and buttermilk adds a subtle chocolate flavor to the cake
- Cream Cheese Frosting is the traditional choice for Red Velvet Cake and complements the cake’s flavors perfectly.
- Make sure to properly grease and flour the cake pans to prevent the cake from sticking.
- It’s important to allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting to avoid melting the cream cheese frosting.
- The cream cheese frosting is made by beating together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Feel free to add personal touches to the cake by adding decorations or additional toppings.
- Red Velvet Cake is a crowd-pleasing dessert, perfect for birthdays, holidays, or any special occasion.
What gives red velvet cake its distinctive red colour?
Traditionally, the red colour in red velvet cake comes from a chemical reaction between cocoa powder and vinegar or buttermilk. The reaction enhances the red colour. Some recipes also use red food colouring to intensify the red hue.
What kind of frosting is typically used for red velvet cake?
Cream cheese frosting is the most popular frosting choice for red velvet cake. Its tangy flavour pairs well with the slightly sweet cake. However, some variations use buttercream frosting or whipped cream cheese frosting.